Monday, October 3, 2011

Innocents

She smiles blankly at the sky
Not understanding why people wish to die
When the sun is shining and there's a nice breeze
Why leave earth without a disease?

She smiles at me with that same blank stare
Not knowing I have thoughts I'll never share
She thinks that with a hug all can be healed
So I smile kindly and let her believe

That dreams are full of rainbows and unicorns
and that nightmares are as rare as a leprechaun
That Santa brings toys at Christmas
And that parents stay together forever
That everyone scores straight As
And that no one is teased for being different
That the tooth fairy left her the money
And that innocence can never be destroyed

Her world is perfect
Her world is serene
Who am I to damage
A life so pristine?

No comments:

Post a Comment